Approaching Teacher Retention the Call Me MiSTER ® Way

The broadcast will begin at 3:30 PM ET. If you are having difficulty streaming the video, refreshing the web page at 3:30 PM may resolve this issue. An archived version of the show will be available. If you experience trouble streaming, please email We will try to get you up and watching as quickly as possible!

Webcast Details

Aired on: March 14th, 2017

3:30–4:30 p.m. (ET)

How to Interact with the Show


Tweet @NDPCn or #NDPCn during the show.

Sign into the Disqus forums at the bottom of this page with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account to post comments and ask questions.

Our Guest(s) This Week

Dr. Roy Jones

Dr. Roy Jones is a professor and the executive director for the College of Education's Call Me MiSTER program at Clemson University. Dr. Jones has been cited as a thought-leader on the education and mentoring of African American boys. He leads the most recognized collaborative in the nation for recruiting, retaining, developing leadership, and producing fully certified African American male elementary and middle school level teachers. The collaborative currently represents 20 colleges and universities in South Carolina and eight institutions in seven other states. Dr. Jones was named the 2009 “Pacesetter Award” recipient by the American Association of Blacks in Higher Education. The Oxford American Magazine identified him among the “Most Creative Teachers in the South” in its fall 2011 online publication. In 2014, Dr. Jones was the recipient of the Governor and Mrs. Richard W. Riley Award for Excellence in Dropout Prevention presented at the 26th Annual At-Risk Youth National Forum by the National Dropout Prevention Center.

This Week's Topic

How can retention rates for new teachers be increased, allowing for that all-important sense of continuity all students need to maintain the degree of engagement in school that leads to increased graduation rates?  Join Solutions to the Dropout Crisis as Dr. Roy Jones discusses the impact and success of Call Me MiSTER® (Mentors Instructing Students Toward Effective Role Models). 

Call Me MiSTER works to increase the pool of excellent teachers from diverse backgrounds through a highly intentional, co-curricular process that prepares African American male students to be teachers, servant-leaders, and role models, particularly in high-needs elementary schools. Call Me MiSTER teachers often come from the same types of underserved, socio-economically disadvantaged, and educationally at-risk communities that they return to serve. And Call Me MiSTER teachers remain in the profession. Since 2004, 95% of the program graduates have remained as teachers in elementary education with most of the remaining 5% going on to and district leadership positions.

Among other things, this webcast will address the importance of:

  • systemic transformation through intentional planning and implementation of co-curricular activities;
  • academic support and real-world opportunities for all participants; and
  • a cohort system for participants’ social and cultural support.
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors