As schools and districts move towards the start of the 2021 – 2022 school year it has never been more important to support our trauma-impacted students.
From the health-related concerns brought about by COVID–19 and subsequent related economic uncertainties to the ongoing challenges of racial inequities and social justice, trauma has increasingly affected our students and our communities.
While it is helpful to be trauma-aware and trauma-informed, it is more vital than ever that our schools also take the next step to become Trauma-Skilled by applying and building on their existing awareness and information. Every adult in the system must have a deep understanding of trauma and its impact on student behavior and readiness to learn. In addition, every adult must have the SKILLS necessary to create a culture that is supportive of students impacted by trauma.
To help schools address the effects of trauma and build a supportive culture for trauma-impacted students, the National Dropout Prevention Center is sponsoring a Trauma-Skilled Schools Virtual Institute. The Institute will build the capacity of participants in the following areas:
- Understanding the various forms of trauma and its impact on the brain and nervous system
- Applying that understanding to the work in schools to support positive behavior and to increase students’ readiness to learn
- Building new skills to support students who are impacted by trauma
- Initiating the capacity to build a trauma-skilled school culture
This virtual event will include independent work prior to and throughout the Institute with the following synchronous events:
- July 20 from 11:00 AM– 12:30 PM (ET) – Virtual Huddle: Exploring and Applying Trauma-Related Knowledge
- July 22 from 11:00 AM– 12:30 PM (ET) – Virtual Huddle: Beginning to Build a Culture of Resilience
- July 27 from 11:00 AM– 12:30 PM (ET) – Virtual Huddle: Focusing on Skill Acquisition
- July 29, 2021 from 11:00 AM– 12:30 PM (ET) – Virtual Huddle #4: OPTIONAL IMPLEMENTATION
Registration Fee: $149
- Participants in the offering will receive a Continuing Education Certificate.
- Participation in this training fulfills the professional development requirement that is a part of Trauma-Skilled Specialist certification
- Participants will receive a $50 discount on Trauma-Skilled Specialist certification application fees.